Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Altered Snowflake

I can't believe that Christmas is barely a week away. Time passes by too quickly, really. I haven't done any Christmas shopping yet and judging by my workload, it looks near impossible ... sigh! But, by some miracle, I have managed to do up this wooden snowflake which was given by a friend, so here it is...
I had painted the raw light wood with a layer of bronze acrylic paint followed by the pearl finish acrylic paint - you don't quite see the pearlescent effect in the photo (sorry, it's been rain weather these past weeks and really difficult to get better lighting for photography) but the pearlescence is 'mildly' there. Okay, after the layers of paint, goes on the swirl stamping done with the Brilliance ink, then I outlined the swirls at certain areas by hand to add a bit of detailing to the swirls and adhered the photo. Edges of the snowflake were then lightly inked with distress ink.

Next, my favourite Modge-Podge was applied to seal everything. Those little fan-like prongs in between the wood are actually of an embossed snowflake stamp that I had cut up and glued on. Finishing touches of beads and sequins were then glued on. Voila!!

Materials - Paints: Making Memories; Stamp: Autumn Leaves, Hero Arts; Pen: Zig Writer; Embossing Powder: Scrap-n-Crop; Others: wooden snowflake, sequins, beads, Modge Podge.

3 comments:

Chowchow said...

I love it! Kat, thats a great idea of sealing with modge podge. I made a little box yesterday and I did that too. Like a layer of varnish, yes? Must blog it now.

Irene Tan aka Scrapperlicious said...

Beautiful altered snowflakes! Love the colours and the stamping!

My Paper World said...

Awwww! so pretty!